This is the login panel

Return to Obituaries > Funeral Services and Obituaries for Maryland

Guestbook and Funeral Services in Maryland

Edwin Lewinski
Viewing: Friday, September 11, 2015 from 10:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m.
Service: Friday, September 11, 2015 at 11:00 a.m.
Location: DeVol Funeral Home, 10 E. Deer Park Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 20877

On Monday, September 7, 2015, Edwin Lewinski, of Silver Spring, MD. He is the beloved husband of 65 years to Julie Marie Lewinski; loving father of Denise M. Lewinski, Gaithersburg, MD, Jenny Sylvester, Gaithersburg, MD, Claire Keister and her husband David, Olney, MD and the late Edwin C. Lewinski; grandfather of Kelly Covington, Montgomery Village, MD Andrew Keister, Montgomery Village, MD Corrine Meyers and her husband Chris, Mooresville, NC, Christine Miller and her husband Paul, Germantown, MD and Amanda Keister, Gonzales, LA; great-grandfather of Alexis Sylvester, Andriana Covington, Brianna Meyers, Blake Meyers, Aiden Miller and Brycen Miller; dear brother of the late Claire Leilich and Henry Lewin.

Edwin was born a few days before Christmas 1927 to Charles and Jennie Levinsky.  He was their third, and last, child and grew up in the Patterson Park area of Baltimore City with his sister Claire and brother Henry.  He met Julie (Judy) Vostrejs (vostres) in 1949 at a hayride.  Judy was a telephone switchboard operator and Edwin was a telephone repairman for C&P Telephone Company.  They married in 1950 and started their family in 1952 having four children in seven years.

As common in the 50s and 60s, Edwin worked and Judy stayed home and raised the children.  Not only did Edwin work for C&P telephone company, he also became very active in a local Baltimore Communications Workers of America (CWA) union (local 2101) starting as a union steward and later local president.  Later in his career he became the chief bargaining officer for the union in all contract negotiations.  Dad was passionate about representing the workers of CWA and I remember many evenings of Dad taking calls at the kitchen table from union members with grievances, with a glass of whiskey his hands. When we went to the Touch down club in D.C for his retirement party, the traffic was at a typical D.C standstill. Dad not wanting to be late for his own party, pulled the car over to have his son in law drive Claire and Mom the rest of the way, and he ended up walking the remaining 6 blocks, arriving at the same time as they did.

Although he worked hard for the company and union, Dad made time every summer to take the family to Ocean City Maryland.  He also liked to take day trips to Sandy Point at the bay. Dad loved the beach.

Some of my earliest memories of Dad were of him lugging a 2 ton wooden crib down to the beach for one of the kids, followed by a one ton beach umbrella, various beach blankets and food, and last, but not least, a heavy metal ice chest, filled with ice cold Natty Bos.  Dad was the self -appointed life guard of the beach.  He would stand at water?s edge and watch us kids and our cousins and friends with his hands on his hips.  At a certain point if we strayed too far from him we would get the wave and the command to come closer in.  No child would succumb to rip tide on his watch.

Dad was also an excellent handy man.  We would often catch him building a fire in the family room fire place while wearing a white dress shirt and not a speck of dirt on it. He could fix anything and would paint, do crown molding, chair railing and wallpapering.  Dad and Uncle Henry often would work on projects together for my grandparents and each other?s family.  As we all got older and bought our own homes, Dad would paint and fix anything for us ? even ?fixing? the son in laws paint jobs on a few occasions. Many of my co-workers would ask if they could hire him and I would tell them definitely not, he?s mine.  Later when I moved to New Jersey he and Mom would drive up to spend some time with me and do a few little repairs around the house.  His tool box was always in his car and would be one of the first things he would lug into the house. 

Dad wasn?t much of a cook except for BBQ. When I was little I recall mom being sick and not able to get out of bed and grandmom and Aunt Claire bringing over a stockpot of chicken soup. What else would a Polish mom do? Dad ended up serving us the soup not just for lunch and dinner, which was fine, but when it was in cereal bowl the next morning I howled so loud that Mom came down to see what he was doing.

Since Dad worked so much, Mom took care of us kids and things around the house.  On the rare occasion when Mom would leave us with him he would find himself a little out of his element.  With three daughters and one son, things could get a little dramatic, especially with my sister Jenny.  Invariably he would be home alone with us and Jenny would fall off her bike and have a concussion, or decide to jump off the top of the sliding board rather than slide down and break her leg, or Dad?s favorite story, see if she could fit her head between the railings on the front porch.  Of course she could, but then couldn?t get it out.  Dad couldn?t understand why I didn?t rush in to tell him, but seriously, where was she going to go? 

My sisters gave him grandchildren and I gave him grand dogs.  He took that responsibility very seriously.  Whenever I visited, or he visited, the dogs would look to him for their walks.  Once he stumbled when the dog tried to take off after a squirrel but he held on while the dog dragged him down some steps and out into the street.  My neighbors yelled at him to let go that the dog would come back, but he just said it?s my daughter?s dog.  He was very protective and wound up with cracked ribs from the incident.

From my Dad I got my work ethic, my sense of commitment, my protectiveness of my family, and my resolve to help others.  Although, as my sister so eloquently puts it, I went to the ?dark-side? of management, I represent workers from the other side of the aisle and I know that Dad was proud of my accomplishments. My sisters and I will continue to be ?little Eds? each in our own way.

As a grandfather, Edwin was known as bopbop to all of us and our children. Getting older I thought it was strange that our grandparents had double names, but was told by my mom that it?s a Polish thing.

All of us grandkids have fond memories of going to the beach house in Ocean City, MD. As part of our trip to the beach we would normally stop on the way there or back at what I call the Happy Face Diner. They had a playground that would allow us all to stretch out our legs and get out all that energy out. I still to this day look for this diner while driving my own kids to the beach and always think of our visits there.

Once we finally got to the beach it was always about playing in the water and the sand. Of course, bopbop would be there as our lifeguard. I would say he did a great job ? I still remember what he taught us to do in case we were caught in a rip current, swim parallel to the shore and I actually used it a few years back when I was caught in one while vacationing in the outer banks with friends. My cousin Kelly recalls memories of walking from the beach house, to the Carousel Hotel - a good 10 block walk ? and then treating themselves to ice cream.

When we weren?t at the beach house, we would gather at the house in Rockville, where all of us grandkids lived at some point in our life. The basement was always full of funky fun old toys that we always ran to play with. Even as preteens we would still retreat to the basement. We also learned a bit about tools from his workshop that was kept down there, I recall my brother showing me how the wood clamps work with one of my favorite dolls head. The family room where we would open up Christmas gifts, watch football games and old episodes of star track; seemed to always have a bowl of chips and cheese balls and polka music playing in the background. In the formal living room we would eat our family meals; that?s where I refer to as the ?candy cane couch? was, and we were NEVER allowed to sit on it, even though it was covered in plastic.

In our older years, I swear he could always find a sports game on T.V. He enjoyed watching the weather channel and giving Kelly a call who lived in Northern Michigan at the time and Neecy who lived in NJ a weather update. Whenever one of us were traveling he would always check the weather report and let us know of any storms to be worried of or how sunny it would be. Those special memories of you will always bring a smile, if only I could have you back for just a little while. Then we could sit and talk again just like we used to do. You always meant so much to us and always will too.

The fact that you?re no longer here will cause us pain, but you?re forever in our hearts;

Until we meet again.

We will miss, Edwin our bopbop, may you rest in peace.  

Friends may call at DeVol Funeral Home, 10 E. Deer Park Drive, Gaithersburg, MD 20877 on Friday, September 11, 2015 from 10:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m., when the funeral service will begin.

Interment will follow in Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Silver Spring, MD.

In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made in his name to American Cancer Society, 801 Roeder Road, Suite 800, Silver Spring, MD 20910.  

Please sign the guest book. 

View additional pictures

View the guest book for Edwin Lewinski

Sign the guest book

Order Flowers

Return to the service list


DeVol Funeral Home